Sunday, September 23, 2007

long vs. short

Through out the past century and a half men enrolled in college have played football for their respective schools. These football players have had fierce battles on the fields but one important aspect has been left out, the coaches. The coaches of college football teams have one of the most difficult jobs of any coach at any level. The difficulty of this job is what amazes me that Joe Paterno of the Pennsylvania State University Nittany Lions has been there so long. Paterno, or JoePa as the fans call him, is the best college football coach to be apart of the game. My upbringing might be one aspect why I believe this but there are numerous others.
I was born in south-central Pennsylvania which left me a small range of options for who my favorite college would be. That decision was almost made for me before I was born by my father. My dad is a PSU alumnus along with a huge Nittany Lions Fan. Growing up I can remember watching college football early Saturday afternoon. The game on the television was always Penn State and you rooted for them no matter what the score was. Luckily I was born during an era in PSU football when they were dominating over other teams. However, during on of these games I noticed a man wearing a white dress shirt and blue tie with kaki pants rolled up over black cleats. When I asked my dad who that man was, he replied that’s the greatest coach to ever walk a sideline. He was of course talking about JoePa. Since I was young when I asked my father that and young kids often take their parents words as absolute truths I believed him.
After a little while I began to ask questions about Paterno. When my dad explained to me all of the great things that Joe had brought about it was easy to see that he is the greatest coach to walk a sideline. So from my birth I have been conditioned to love Penn State and in turn think that Joe Paterno is the greatest college football coach. This has all been instilled upon me through my family.
My current interest also allows me to come to my conclusion that Joe Paterno is the greatest collegiate coach in history. My Saturdays consist of my friends and me sitting in front of the television switching between various college football games. We will watch any game from the early east coast games that start at 11am all the way to the 10 pm games between the rainbow warriors. Watching this many games has given me my own set of criteria as to what makes a great football coach.
Coaches need to be able to deal with people from different backgrounds. Some coaches put an emphasis on schoolwork while others harp sports and don’t care about graduation rates. Other coaches will allow a player to participate in team activities when they have not followed team procedures. And finally, coaches only have four, maybe five with some athletes, years to educate these young men in areas of not only football but life. Joe Paterno is not only concerned with the football part of college; he is a life coach, an opportunity giver, and a teacher. All of these have lead to my assumption that he is the greatest coach ever. These assumptions were strengthened by my own personal experiences along with some help from my peers.
Personal experiences have also helped form my beliefs in Paterno. As an athlete myself, I look at what I would want in a coach. The first and second hand information that I have revived on Joe all indicate that he is in fact a great coach. On a previous trip to Penn State University to attend a football camp given by the PSU football staff I got to see first hand the effects that Paterno has on the school. His determination of have great coaches on the sideline with him as well as when giving lessons at camps to hopeful high school athletes.
Society is the last influence in my life that has made be believe that Joe Paterno is the greatest collegiate coach. Many other college football fans also recognize Joe Paterno as the premier head coach. He currently sits in second place for most career wins in Division 1 football, only behind Bobby Bowden. JoePa was the first one to break Paul “Bear” Bryant’s record for career wins, and Bryant was considered the best college football coach ever.
Under Paterno’s tutelage numerous players have won academic honors along with many post season accolades. However, some of his players don’t stop playing after college and get drafted by professional teams or picked up as free agents. The list of Penn State players in the National Football League is shorter than those at other institutions but, NFL scouts and coaches give Penn State players an added value. The high esteem that NFL personnel place on Penn State players come from past experiences and know that they are getting a quality player both physically and mentally. They believe that Joe is a great coach and has taught the players how to act on the field as well as off. These awards and respect show how great a coach Joe is and why he is respected as the greatest to walk a sideline.



College football players have been the main focus, but one important aspect has been left out, the coaches. Coaching college football is the hardest job a coach has, which is why Joe Paterno’s tenure impresses me so much. Paterno is one of the best coaches in any sport. My upbringing and many other factors have shaped my beliefs.
I was born in Pennsylvania, which left me with few options for my favorite college football team. However, my dad is a Penn State alumnus and football fan and he made up my mind for me. As a kid I was fed a steady dose of Penn State football and have continued to watch since. When watching a game with my dad, I asked who the coach was; he replied, “That’s the greatest coach to ever walk a sideline.” Since I was young when I asked my father that, and young kids often take their parents’ words as absolute truths, I believed him.
After getting information about Joe’s accomplishments, I was determined that he is the greatest coach to walk a sideline. Through my family I have been conditioned to love Penn State football and in turn, Joe Paterno.
My current interests in college football also help me gauge coaching talent. My friends and I watch various college football games on television every Saturday. It does not matter what conference the teams are associated with, we are watching. Watching this many games has given me my own set of criteria as to what makes a great football coach.
Coaches need to be able to deal with people from different backgrounds. Some coaches only worry about sports while others take pride molding successful young men. These bad coaches allow their players to play when rules have been broken. Coaches have a few years to educate their athletes in areas of football and life. Joe Paterno is one of the best at teaching how to conduct one’s self and how to be a great football player. These factors lead me to my conclusion that Joe is the greatest coach ever. My conclusion was formed by personal experiences and through peers.
As an athlete, I look for what I want in a coach. Meeting Paterno and hearing stories about him all indicate that he is a great coach. Attending a football camp on Penn State’s campus showed me first hand the effect that Paterno has on the school. His determination to have great coaches on the sideline with him shows his commitment to his job.
Society has influenced me to believe that Joe Paterno is the greatest coach. Many other fans also recognize Joe Paterno as the premier head coach. Joe was the all time leader in wins until he was passed by Bobby Bowden, Flordia State’s coach. Joe took this record from Paul Bryant, one of the best coaches ever.
Paterno’s players are less numerous than other schools, but NFL scouts and coaches give Penn State players an added value. The added value on Penn State players comes from past experiences. These players are better both physically and mentally. NFL coaches believe that Joe is a great coach and has taught the players how to act on and off the field. This respect shows how great a coach Joe is and why he is the best.

No comments: